Full Time Position
Based in Fredericton the New Brunswick Medical Society (NBMS) is the voice of the medical profession in New Brunswick, providing province-wide representation and advocacy for all physicians. As the provincial division of the Canadian Medical Association, the NBMS exists to represent physicians and advocate for the health of New Brunswickers.
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, the Accounting Specialist acts as a point of contact for the accounting department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and external parties, such as vendors, clients, or lenders. They handle bookkeeping, assist in the preparation of financial reports, taxes, audits, and resolving discrepancies. The Accounting Specialist must possess a strong understanding of accounting principles and financial reporting. They are required to be ethical, thorough, and attentive with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
The New Brunswick Medical Society is committed to developing and supporting a more diverse, inclusive and equitable environment for both physicians and staff. We encourage applicants from equity-deserving populations to self-identify in their application, as we will give preference to these applicants. If you have questions about how the New Brunswick Medical Society can ensure a safe place of employment for you, or how the hiring process can accommodate your needs, we invite you to reach out to the contact person listed in this ad.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- work with other members of the accounting department to compile, analyze, and report financial data
- complete monthly journal or ledger entries
- prepare weekly, monthly, and yearly financial reports and budgets
- assist with tax preparation, audits, and identify and resolve discrepancies
- act as a point of contact between internal departments and accounting, serving as a liaison between accounting and external parties, including clients, suppliers, and lenders
- use bookkeeping software to enter information into company files or databases, ensure that all financial records are complete and accurate
- accounts payable, accounts receivable, and account reconciliations
- credit card and bank reconciliations
- assessment of member program claims as required
- remain current on company, local, provincial, and federal financial regulations and policies
Position Location and Hours of Work
This position is located in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Work outside the normal business hours of
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to accommodate client needs may be required. After-work commitments can be expected and are usually predictable and planned well in advance.
- post-secondary education in accounting
- CPA designation considered an asset
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role
- any equivalent combination of education, training and experience determined to be acceptable
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- bilingualism considered an asset
- strong understanding of accounting principles and financial reporting and legislation
- knowledge and experience using Sage300
- excellent Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel skills
- detail-oriented individual with superior organizational and analytical skills
- proven ability to accept a broad range of responsibilities
- ability to manage time and adhere to strict deadlines
- ability to work independently and in a team environment
- excellent interpersonal skills with a strong focus on member service and emerging leadership skills
- excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- respond appropriately to changing situations and priorities
- value a positive work culture and comradery with your colleagues
- ability to work hard and have fun
What can the New Brunswick Medical Society offer you?
- a comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, health and dental, life insurance, long-term disability, and retirement savings plan
- a positive and inclusive work culture
- interesting, stimulating work with a professional membership
- meaningful involvement in shaping NB’s health care system
How to apply?
- candidates are required to demonstrate on their resume how, when and where they have acquired the qualifications and skills required for this position
- please send a cover letter and resume in chronological order to Sandra Hunter, Manager of Finance
- only those selected for an interview will be contacted.