Health Promotion & Advocacy Specialist
in Fredericton, NB
Reporting to the Chief of Physician & Patient Engagement, the Health Promotion & Advocacy Specialist identifies priorities that are aligned with the strategic direction of the New Brunswick Medical Society. The Health Promotion & Advocacy Specialist develops, implements, monitors, and evaluates public health promotion and advocacy strategies designed to meet the needs of various NBMS and multi stakeholder programs.
The Health Promotion & Advocacy Specialist will work to enhance the reputation of NBMS and contribute to advocating to improve healthcare delivery and population health for New Brunswick.
This individual has a good understanding of health promotion and health system advocacy with a background in research and planning. The Health Promotion & Advocacy Specialist effectively contributes fresh ideas and innovative solutions for the organization, members, and stakeholders. This individual is an effective communicator, detail oriented and is reliable, discreet, and conscientious.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- actively maintain a strategic health promotion work plan, incorporating relevant priorities identified by the organization
- research health promotion and advocacy issues and provide advice and analysis, including the preparation of background documents, presentations, and other relevant materials
- proactively identify trends, challenges and opportunities
- coordinate and manage certain projects within the Engagement portfolio
- communicate and collaborate with governmental and non-governmental organizations to establish and maintain stakeholder relationships
- represent NBMS in meetings and consultations on health promotion and advocacy issues with internal and external stakeholders
- deliver advice and/or briefings to senior management, regarding strategic health promotion and advocacy issues and emerging health system issues
- develop, plan and lead NBMS research, knowledgeable on formal and informal research tools, analysis, and presentation
- work on cross-departmental projects, providing research and health promotion expertise, as well as other skills, on an ad hoc basis, as required
- other tasks as requested
The above job duties are only the basic and prime duties of the job. Related and allied duties will be assigned from time to time as may become necessary to the efficient operation of the NBMS.
Position Location and Hours of Work
This position is located in Fredericton, N.B. or will consider a remote work option elsewhere in N.B. Normal business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additional overtime hours can be expected.
Flexible to travel within the province of New Brunswick and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in health, social sciences, business, or other related studies. Education and experience may be substituted for one another.
- minimum of three to five years of full-time professional experience dealing with promotion, advocacy, government relations or healthcare or a related field
- experience in project management
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- superior writing, analytical and verbal communication as well as large group presentation skills.
- experience in public sector policy work, especially in regulatory or operational policy environment
- demonstrated experience in supporting executive decision making and have political acumen to understand critical issues and concerns faced by a variety of stakeholders
- proven success in developing and maintaining working relationships with organizations such as federal, provincial or territorial governments and non-governmental organizations
- experience in providing evidence-based advocacy recommendations and advice that aligns with strategic organizational priorities
- proven project management skills to plan, establish priorities, anticipate issues and implement recommendations across functional teams and work groups
- experience developing and maintaining stakeholder partnerships to obtain information, analyze policy challenges and solutions, and generate consensus
- ability to consult with stakeholders to anticipate and manage potential issues and negotiate and resolve concerns that may arise
- strong research skills and the ability to identify trends and opportunities
- effectively prioritize your work to manage multiple projects and issues
- organizational skills to manage conflicting work demands and deliver priorities in alignment with team objectives
- ability to work independently and as a member of a team and have demonstrated adaptability and flexibility, especially under tight deadlines
- ability to facilitate meetings
- self-starter with a positive attitude
- written and spoken competence in English and ability to communicate in French is desired
- knowledge of the healthcare sector in New Brunswick and Canada considered an asset
What can the New Brunswick Medical Society offer you?
- a comprehensive benefits package which includes paid vacation, health and dental plan, life insurance, long-term disability plan, and a matching RRSP contribution plan
- a positive and inclusive work culture
- career growth and development and continuous learning opportunities
- interesting, stimulating work with a professional membership
- meaningful involvement in shaping NB’s health care system
How to apply?
- candidates are required to demonstrate on their resume how, when and where they have acquired the qualifications and skills required for this position
- please send a cover letter and resume in chronological order to Lisa LePage, Chief Operating Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org by December 16th, 2022
- only those selected for an interview will be contacted