Job Posting: Executive Director
About us: Meals on Wheels of Fredericton is an exciting and growing organization that was established 54 years ago to serve the people of the greater Fredericton area. On a daily basis, 365 days a year, we deliver nutritious homestyle meals and provide social support to individuals who live independently but have difficulty preparing meals on their own. At the present time we are serving close to 300 meals per day. Most of our meals are prepared in house in our own kitchen, known as the Lunchbox, with a small number being prepared at the Chalmers hospital. We also conduct a weekly dine out luncheon program known as Wheels to Meals. This is suspended at this time due to the pandemic, but we hope to resume later in 2022.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and acting in accordance with the organization’s mission statement and strategic plan, the Executive Director is responsible for managing all personnel and resources of the organization in such a way as to ensure the most effective delivery of our service.
- Works with the Board of Directors to fulfill the organization’s mission
- Is responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Is responsible for the enhancement of the organization’s image by being active and visible in the community, and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations on behalf of the Board of Directors
- Works with the Board to develop and revise strategic plans and guiding documents.
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Is responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization
- Works with the treasurer and the organization’s financial administrator to include submission of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements to the Board
- Is responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position
- Works with the fund-raising committee on all fundraising projects of the organization
- Seeks out and applies for any grants available to the organization at the local, provincial, and national level
- Is responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff
- Maintains a positive, healthy, and safe work environment
- Supports the kitchen leader in all aspects of the smooth and safe management of the Meals on Wheels kitchen facility
- Supports the Board’s Volunteer Recruitment Committee in the recruitment, development and recognition of volunteers
- Establishes employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions of the organization
- Reviews and approves contracts for services
- Ensures the organization remains in compliance with all pertinent legislation through regular information updates, evaluation and action as required (to include food service regulations, Department of Health requirements, labour standards)
- Coordinates the weekly Wheels to Meals program with the Meals on Wheels kitchen team and the Board’s Committee chair.
- other tasks as assigned by the Board of Directors
Professional Qualifications Needed:
- Five or more years of senior non-profit management experience
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Experience working with seniors and individuals with disabilities, with an understanding of their needs
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
- High level of strategic thinking and planning
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the community
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results
- Grant writing and fund-raising experience
- Solid organizational abilities including planning, program development and task facilitation
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Computer experience in such programs as Excel, Word and Outlook, Power Point, and an aptitude to learn and use unfamiliar programs
- Strong public speaking ability
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy
- Experience in managing a food services facility would be considered an asset
- A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline would be considered an asset
- Bilingualism would be considered an asset
Flexibility in working hours is required, as some work will happen outside traditional office hours and the standard work week.
Any offer of employment will be conditional on the following:
Valid proof of full vaccination against COVID-19
Clear record checks including a vulnerable sector check from the Police and Department of Social Development
Please forward a cover letter and resume, highlighting your relevant qualifications, as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm March 28th, 2022.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact: Betty Daniels – email@example.com
Active Dates: Feb 28 to Mar 28, 2022