Director, Commercial and Passenger Experience
The Employer: Fredericton International Airport Authority
With a brand-new terminal building and a track record as the fastest growing airport in the Maritimes over the past decade, the Fredericton International Airport (YFC) is ready to reconnect New Brunswickers with the world. Serving central and Western New Brunswick, including the capital city, Fredericton, YFC offers flights to Canadian hubs and sun destinations and is home to over 20 companies employing more than 300 New Brunswickers.
Contribute to the community’s vitality and economic prosperity by providing a gateway to the world.
We are a dynamic, progressive, and growing airport.
Safety is central in everything we do. We lead by example and that starts with an unwavering commitment to safety of our employees and travellers.
People are the heart of our organization. We strive to be empathetic, respectful, and inclusive in our relationships as we support travellers, vendors, partners, airlines, and our community.
Sustainability is fundamental in what we do and how we do it. We believe a thriving airport ecosystem begins with a foundation of sustainable principles and practices. We will be stewards of the environment, curators of a solid financial future, and ensure inclusivity and diversity of our workplace.
The Opportunity: Director, Commercial and Passenger Experience
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director, Commercial and Passenger Experience will lead the effort to optimize revenue from both aeronautical and non-aeronautical sources.
A visionary and proactive thinker, the Director will oversee concessions and properties management practices at FIAA. They will provide oversight of the planning, development and implementation of all concessions, properties and facility leasing programs and initiatives, and lead business development with consideration for the needs of other elements within the airport organization.
Key roles & responsibilities
• Develops new air service, working in partnership with key community stakeholders to increase flight options on existing carriers and attract new airlines.
• Build and maintain relationships with existing and potential airlines.
• Ensures customers receive a consistently high level of quality service in facilities that are safe, clean, and efficient.
• Builds and establishes effective and meaningful internal relationships and stakeholder relations in the community with all levels of government, customers, and partners.
• Negotiates, prepares and administers contracts.
• Leads airport-wide efforts in evaluating the full economic development potential and financial value of airport real estate holdings. Communicates the potential use and value of these properties to the Authority’s Executive Staff, Committees and Board while serving as both an internal resource and driving force for the development of these properties.
• Fosters collaboration and strong links with the authority’s executive team.
• Provides leadership, strategic direction and functional expertise in the commercial development of properties at FIAA.
• Fosters a performance-oriented culture, and drives accountability to optimize decision-making, customer satisfaction, and organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
• Designs, develops, facilitates and advances an integrated and airport-wide customer service program that will enhance the passenger experience, improve overall customer satisfaction and create a positive airport image.
• Provides leadership in the planning, development and implementation of concessions.
• Creates and supports new opportunities for revenue growth and diversification with consideration for the needs of other elements within the airport organization.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Post Secondary degree with preference for specialization in marketing or business.
• A proven track record of success in air service development and strategic planning.
• Extensive experience in commercial leasing, retail, property management and development, and sales.
• Comprehensive knowledge of and relevant government legislation and policies.
• Experience setting goals by defining and prioritizing specific, realistic objectives while demonstrating effective planning skills and abilities.
• Extensive senior leadership experience combined with strong business and financial acumen.
• Experience effectively negotiating, managing and closing large commercial revenue opportunities.
• Bilingualism is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
Technical Expertise – Comprehensive knowledge of and aptitude for relevant land development legislations and policies as well as zoning regulations.
Relationship and Communication Skills – Solid, dynamic and engaging communicator with the ability to inspire others. Excellent presentation skills. Able to establish new and build upon existing relationships with all stakeholders internal and external including public officials, airport tenants, businesses, employees and the public.
Creative and Strategic – Invests resources in well-designed initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results and achieve objectives. Is open, transparent and collaborative, always looking to new ideas to create further efficiencies and opportunities for the organization. Proven ability to balance strategy and the tactical day-to-day operations. Ability to solve challenging problems and provide effective solutions.
Leadership with Integrity – Able to lead through influence and build consensus. Has a proven ability to create and sustain a shared vision, act as a role model and be innovative in finding strategic ways to address the issues. Acts with integrity and strong ethics to foster trust at all levels.
Client Service Skills – Confidence in ensuring that customer’s needs are identified and addressed, ensuring appropriate consultation with all members and stakeholders and ensuring timely, cost-effective and quality service.
Personal Management Skills – Demonstrate self-confidence and interpersonal versatility, self-motivation, self-discipline, strong work ethic, initiative, innovation, perseverance, integrity and political acumen. Excellent organization skills to work on numerous projects and coordinate multiple activities.
Achievement Orientation – Demonstrated planning and project management capabilities. Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in their field. Driven toward achieving results, understands organizational challenges and is a progressive “idea person”. Committed to excellence, innovation and continuous improvement in the workplace. Encourages others to achieve personal excellence.
Resourceful – Has an entrepreneurial mindset. Seeks out possibilities and potential opportunities; develops new ideas and moves them forward. Utilizes all resources available to get the job done. Creative and takes advantage of opportunities, while recognizing the necessity of working within limited resources.
Professional Maturity – An honest, open and consistent approach to working with others in the organization. Fair and people-orientated with excellent interpersonal skills. Capable of dealing with difficult situations effectively and efficiently. Thrives on pressure.
Team-builder and relationship-oriented – Possesses a strong ability to work within a team. Embraces the team culture. Builds and motivates a high-performance team. Ensures the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fosters commitment, trust and collaboration among staff, leaders and stakeholders. Is astute in establishing and maintaining effective, positive relationships both internally and externally.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
Human Resources & Administration Manager
Fredericton International Airport Authority Inc.
2570 Route 102 Hwy, Unit 22
Lincoln, New Brunswick E3B 9G1 Canada
Phone: (506) 460-0922
Fax: (506) 460-0938
January 28, 2022