by Laurie Guthrie, Civic Innovation, City of Fredericton
On April 30th, the City of Fredericton (Tourism), Fredericton Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Fredericton Inc, Business Fredericton North, and Ignite Fredericton launched a #SupportFredLocal partnership to encourage residents to buy from local businesses.
During the coming weeks, Frederictonians will see and hear various messaging designed to point residents to a dedicated #SupportFredLocal webpage www.fredericton.ca/supportfredlocal which directs residents to businesses that are open or offering alternative forms of purchase like online shopping, take-out, and delivery during COVID-19. This partnership bolsters the tremendous work of the agencies in serving their members and creating ‘open-for-business’ lists.
The #SupportFredLocal campaign’s key message is “Small businesses are the heartbeat of Fredericton’s vibrant community. Don’t let that fade away. Put your money where your heart is.” (see adjacent ad)
Here’s some ideas on how you can help spread #SupportFredLocal awareness, and help us in creating a viral campaign on a local scale:
- Use the hashtags #SupportFredLocal / #SoutenirFredLocalement where possible, and repost/share social media messages. We also encourage you to tag your *business agency – see list below.
- Display a #SupportFredLocal window decal in your place of business (Contact your business agency to get yours: Fredericton Chamber of Commerce, Business Fredericton North, Downtown Fredericton, Fredericton Tourism, Ignite Fredericton).
- Adhere a #SupportFredLocal sticker on your customers’ shopping bags.
- Incorporate a message in your email signature line i.e. Find out who’s open and how you can #SupportFredLocal businesses!
- Display the #SupportFredLocal logo on your website, and use the logo and webpage links in your digital communications. [English www.fredericton.ca/supportfredlocal and French www.fredericton.ca/soutenirfredlocalement ]
- Thank your customers for supporting local business to keep the message top of mind.
- Be creative with your #SupportFredLocal approach i.e. Hold a contest to drive patron traffic or use trivia to inform your customers about the jobs your business creates. For example, Taylor Printing Group is launching a business package (floor decal and thank you cards) designed to inform your customers about your economic impact in the business community.
With your help, we are confident this will be a successful campaign now, but also continuing into the future to drive #SupportFredLocal business! If you have an idea – feel free to share it by contacting the project manager firstname.lastname@example.org.