(Fredericton, NB) – On September 3, 2014 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the Fredericton Convention Centre, the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce is hosting an all-candidates forum for the Greater Fredericton Area. Each candidate running in the eight electoral districts within the “Capital Region” have been invited to participate. The format will be as follows:
- Each of the eight ridings will be separated into sections in the convention centre ballroom. The candidates for these ridings will have a specific audience of attendees that pre-register.
- In each of the eight sections, the chamber will provide a moderator, a time-keeper and an individual designated to post on social media.
- The candidates will make a brief opening statement.
- The candidates will be given an opportunity to address each of the Fredericton chamber’s seven
- Questions That Count for the 2014 election.
- After the opening remarks and Questions that Count, there will have an opportunity for questions from the audience which will be submitted in writing during the first part of the event and posed by the moderator.
- Following the formal portion, the chamber will host a reception for all attendees and candidates in the same location.
“With the financial state of the province, we believe it is very important for voters to be as educated as possible when making their decision in the 2014 election,” stated Joseph O’Donnell. “Not only will this inform their decision on September 22nd, but we hope more residents of the province will realize the true nature of our fiscal situation and be more willing to accept tough decisions for the next four years and beyond.”
This event is the third phase of the chamber’s pre-election activities for the 2014 election, which is being led by its Provincial Government Affairs Committee. In April the chamber hosted the leader of each of New Brunswick’s five registered parties with our “Political Leadership Series.” This provided an opportunity for our members and the public to hear directly from the party leaders on their plans for improving the economy should they form the next government.
“The election has been our committee’s primary focus for much of the calendar year,” added Krista Ross, chamber CEO. “We think getting all of the ridings together in one place will be a great way to hear a lot of ideas from all of the parties. Breaking the forums up by riding also then allows for the discussion to touch on both provincial and riding-specific issues.”
On September 10, 2014 the chamber is also hosting a presentation by Richard Saillant, author of Over the Cliff? Acting Now to Avoid New Brunswick’s Bankruptcy. Mr Saillant’s book outlines a current fiscal path that is unsustainable and states that tough decisions must be made to avoid a disastrous outcome. The committee felt this message is important for our members (and everyone) to hear as they head to the polls.
With more than 900 members, the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce is one of Atlantic Canada’s largest chambers of commerce. A dynamic business organization, the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce is actively engaged in policy development that affects the competitiveness of our members and of the Canadian business environment.
Krista Ross, CEO, Fredericton Chamber of Commerce – (506) 458-8006